No study is perfect
In today’s episode of Mum-to-Mum Monday we’ll be discussing what it’s like for an English woman to raise children in America; how traditional roles can be turned on their heads; and how a career researching child development can influence parenting techniques.
My guest today is SuperMum, Lekki Frazier-Wood.
Originally from London, Lekki started her career as a Social Scientist specialising in child development, and has spent 8 years living in Alabama and Texas. English-born Lekki now lives in Houston with her American husband Wes, 4 year old son and daughter of 15 months. She’s a Professor of Paediatrics, studying childhood nutrition at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas.
Before meeting her husband, it never crossed Lekki’s mind that she would marry an American or have children anywhere other than England. And having kids in a foreign land has challenged her thinking about the norms of the Southern ‘Bible Belt’ and now views parenting practises from a fresh perspective.
Lekki offers us a glimpse into her professional and personal world, including insights into her academic study of childhood nutrition, as well as her personal views on feeling confident whilst navigating the parenting maze.
I’m excited to welcome Lekki to my show today where she will assure you that no matter what your style of parenting, loving your children means you’re already doing an amazing job.
Click to Listen:
In this episode, we talk about:
- Lekki’s career story that led her across the Atlantic to Alabama and into the arms of her future husband
- How Lekki and her husband reversed traditional roles when they first had children, and the affect it had on them
- Why Lekki made the decision, even before she was pregnant, to commit to her career and return to work as soon as possible
- How parenting in the United States is ‘unbelievably different’ to parenting in the UK
- What left Lekki with her jaw open and her eyes wide saying ‘Oh my goodness, what have I done’
- Which country is more reflective, more self-judgemental, and more heated about the styles of parenting
- Why ‘winging it’ sometimes beats reading parenting books
- Some shared knowledge about the nutritional study of children that she is currently undertaking
Hope you enjoy todays show!
Tell me what you think?
If you want to leave a comment for Lekki, whether it’s about her research in child development or your own thoughts on raising children as an ex-pat, then we’d love you to come and say hello.
And let us know in the comments;
Are you raising children in circumstances you didn’t previously consider? Do you use your intuition when parenting or do you prefer to do it ‘by the book’?
We can’t wait to hear from you.
Now, Go Conquer Motherhood!
Lisa York x
BUZZ FEED: Social News and Entertainment
COMPUTER GAME: Slither.io
ONLINE MARKETPLACE: Etsy
BOOK RECOMMENDATION: The End of the Affair by Graham Greene
OTHER BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS:
PSSST, IS IT JUST ME?: Thanks to Lekki’s son Sam age 4 from Houston, Texas
If you would like your little one to feature at the end of my show, send me an email and I’ll show you how
FIND TODAY’S SHOW AT: www.Lisa-York.com/057
Fan of The SuperMum Podcast
More from The SuperMum Podcast
Don’t forget to share The SuperMum Podcast with all your friends!
Join SuperMum ....
.... and never miss a trick again!