Take your foot off the gas and reclaim a more relaxed family life
In today’s episode of Mum-to-Mum Monday, we’ll be finding out how to put your child’s well-being first in a competitive world. By doing so, you’ll get permission to take your foot off the gas and reclaim a more relaxed family life.
My guest today is SuperMum, Tanith Carey.
Tanith is an award-winning journalist and writes for many of the major UK broadsheets. She’s a best-selling parenting author of seven books, and has appeared on the major UK morning shows as a parenting expert. Tanith and her husband live in London with their two daughters who are 11 and 14.
Today we’ll be taking to Tanith about her critically-acclaimed book called ‘Taming the Tiger Parent: How to Put Your Child’s Well-Being First in a Competitive World’.
From the moment the umbilical cord is cut, today’s parents often feel trapped in a never-ending race to ensure their child is the brightest and the best. Mozart in the womb, Baby Einstein DVDs for newborns, and learning apps for toddlers is just the beginning. And while it’s completely natural for us to want our kids to reach their potential, at what point does too much competition become damaging not only to our children, but to us as mums?
In this episode, we’ll explore the effects that competitive parenting has on us as women, how the extra work load of out-of-school activities is affecting us, and the impact it’s having on our relationships with our partner, our children and our family life.
Tanith will help us examine more closely the choices we make for our children’s free time, and look at it from a bigger picture perspective. She helps us question whether, in trying to do the absolute best by our children, we might actually be creating unnecessary problems for ourselves and them.
I’m overjoyed to have Tanith with me on the podcast today, because she can teach us so much about how to tame our inner tiger parent which will free up more time for the things that really matter.
Click to Listen:
In this episode, you’ll find out:
- What a Tiger Parent is and why we need to tame it
- How we got to the point where we feel the need to take our children to so many extra-curricular activities
- Whether we’re failing our children by not giving them every possible opportunity in life.
- How we’re affected by the increased work load that of out-of-school clubs and classes brings
- The impact competitive parenting has on our relationships with our partner and children
- Practical guidelines and realistic solutions to help us take our foot off the gas and reclaim a more relaxed family life
Hope you enjoy todays show!
Please leave a comment:
If you have a question or want some advice from a top broadsheet journalist and author, ask away.
And let us know in the comments. Do you feel like you’re doing to much with your kids or have you got the balance right? Have the things that Tanith’s talked about given you the freedom to take your foot off the gas?
Now, Go Conquer Motherhood!
Lisa York x
TANITH’S WEBSITE: Tanith Carey
TANITH ON FACEBOOK: What Parents Need Now
TANITH’S BOOK (that we talked about today): Taming the Tiger Parent: How to put your child’s well-being first in a competitive world
TANITH’S BOOK LIST:
- Mum Hacks: Time-saving tips to calm the chaos of the family life
- Girls Uninterrupted: Steps for Building Stronger Girls in a Challenging World
- Never Kiss a Man in a Canoe: Words of Wisdom from the Golden Age of Agony Aunts
- A Mothers Love: Stories of Fun, Forgiveness, Hope and Joy
- Where Has My Little Girl Gone?
- How to be an Amazing Mum When You Just Don’t Have the Time: The Ultimate Handbook for Hassled Mothers
- Russell Brand
PROFILE: Alfie Kohn
BOOK RECOMMENDATION: The Road Less Travelled by M. Scott Peck
BOOK RECOMMENDATION: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua
PROFILE: David Nicholls
FIND TODAY’S SHOW AT: www.Lisa-York.com/027
Fan of The SuperMum Podcast
Don’t forget to share The SuperMum Podcast with all your friends!